We offer expert and sensitive legal advice at times when emotions can be high following the death of a family member or someone close to you.
Unfortunately, disputes over Wills, Trusts and Inheritance are increasingly common as families become more dispersed and their structures more complicated. Contesting a Will, Trust or Inheritance, whether you are bringing the claim or on the receiving end of it, is never an easy process.Our dedicated Contentious Probate team, led by Hilary Buckle and Justin Sadler, is here to help. It includes a qualified member of ACTAPS (the Association of Contentious Trusts and Probate Specialists), which is the kite mark of quality in this area of law.
Initial advice can be given via a one hour fixed fee meeting for £95. Thereafter, we will give you an estimate and we will not exceed that estimate without getting your permission first. If appropriate, we will offer you a fixed fee for a fixed amount of work. We also offer Pay As You Go Legal Service, whereby you only pay for the legal services you actually want.
Out of court
We are delighted that most cases we deal with result in settlement rather than trial at court. It is often worth considering mediation in which we have considerable experience as well as in other alternative dispute resolution procedures and we can advise you on negotiation tactics and strategy.
Where matters do escalate, our specialist litigators have the skill and expertise to handle a case all the way through to a court trial.
Our team can advise you on all aspects in this area, including the following:
- The deceased has not made sufficient provision for you in their will; or the Intestacy Rules (where a will is invalid or does not exist) do not sufficiently provide for you. This could be because of a change in your circumstances or in your financial dependence on the deceased;
- The deceased made promises to you when they were still alive which have not been kept in the will, particularly with regard to the disposal of the estate;
- The will was not signed properly or is otherwise invalid;
- There is a factual error in the will, indicating a claim for amending the will or trust;
- The original will has been lost;
- Disputes over the identification of beneficiaries;
- Breaches of trust or a need to remove or substitute executors, personal representatives or trustees who are failing to act appropriately;
- Disputes relating to trusts and charities or statutory wills;
- Professional negligence claims relating to trusts and estates.
- You believe that the deceased did not have the mental capacity to make a will;
- Someone has coerced the deceased into making a will;
If you are concerned about costs, please be assured that we will always provide you with an estimate based on the details of your case and our previous experience. It may be possible to fund the case through legal expenses insurance, which could even be tied in to your home insurance policy.
Get in touch
Justin deals with all aspects of Dispute Resolution for both businesses and individuals, including including Contentious Probate, Employment Law ( for both businesses and individuals) and Commercial Litigation. This means that he is familiar with the many different courts and tribunal as well as the many different methods for resolving disputes, including alternative dispute resolution such as adjudication and mediation.
I contacted the firm about my Divorce and was routed to Paul Wild. I found Paul to be very helpful and knowledgeable about the whole process and he talked me through all the options. The initial consultation was very thorough and useful. Would highly recommend.
Good firm as I used them for debt collection of significant six-figure sum. Well worth the money paid as it was a fraction of the amount owed. Justin Sadler handled the case for me. You get what you pay for.
Alan Warnes dealt with the sale of my father's house after my father died last year. He was sensitive to the fact that my brother and I had lost our father and dealt with everything brilliantly. We had complete confidence in the work Barrett & Co did for us and it was great for my brother and I to have positive dealings with a law firm. Long may it continue!
Cannot fault the service at all. Charlotte Fox was extremely helpful and professional. Would not hesitate to use their services again.
We are an International Sports Federation and needed assistance with getting our Federation incorporated as a Company with Limited Liability. We were walked through the whole process with incredible professionalism but also a lot of understanding and flexibility in the various services required. Jane Whitfield did a wonderful "hand-holding" exercise and once we had completed our incorporation she again walked us through the whole process of registering as a Charity. This process was also completed successfully. As the person that worked very closely with Barrett Co and Jane in particular, I can testify not only to the professionalism, but also the friendly and efficient way in which the whole process was dealt with until completion. We are looking to walk a long road with this company as we deal with further legislative requirements.