Collaborative Law can be used by parties when considering many different areas of family law. Collaborative law is a practice with the intention of resolving disputes amicably and co-operatively and should be considered as an alternative to the Court process which may be far too rigid for many families who wish to deal with separation and divorce or civil partnership dissolution in a more flexible manner. The central feature of the practice is for all parties (including that of their Solicitors) to enter into an agreement that they in principle are agreeing not to litigate their issues at Court; if parties subsequently decide to litigate through the Courts, then their respective Solicitors would be disqualified from acting. The main purpose and benefit to this is that all parties are committed to dealing with matters in a co-operative and respectful manner by working together.
The parties are fully involved in the process and can avoid the requirements and timetable that would be imposed upon them by the Courts. However, you will still be advised fully throughout this process. This can lead to speedy solutions and more flexible settlements. Where appropriate, the collaborative approach can involve other specialists such as Family Consultants, Accountants and Independent Financial Advisors who should all be collaboratively trained and any advice they provide would be on a neutral basis.
Listed below are a few points that you may wish to consider when deciding on this process:-
- there is a the fundamental need for you both to deal with matters in the most pragmatic and decent way possible;
- the great importance that you both attach to continuing your children’s good relationship with the other parent;
- your belief that if things are managed in a good way and that however painful that will be, you will both be able to resolve the issues that remain and need to be addressed between you in as positive way as possible that makes most sense to both of you; and
- that this process may enable you to bring closure to this chapter in your life in a dignified manner which will hopefully help you to preserve the memories of positive and good times that you have shared and which will enable you to promote positive outcomes and relationships between you (and any relevant children) going forward in the future.
For the process to work, both parties will need to consider some of the following to their circumstances:-
- it is a process that must provide a place for you to both:-
- really examine the issues that you have (rather than feel that you have to make quick “take it or leave it” decisions);
- to identify all possible options to help solve those issues;
- which helps you to “reality-test” carefully the consequences of your choices, so that when you reach a conclusion, you can both sense that it is the best of the options that could be identified;
- you would be able to share your views and most importantly to hear and also to be heard;
- you have the benefit of our experience and as required other professionals experience who have dealt with these problems in the past and who can share with you how others have addressed the problem, and, indeed share with you both the confidence that a resolution can be achieved;
- be helped to structure your discussions as to be able to focus and bring the issue to a conclusion; and
- bring third party experts to enable you to manage all of the issues (for example pensions) in a positive way.
Collaborative Law can therefore be very useful for many different family situations, for example, it can be used to draft agreements (for example, a co-habitation or pre-nuptial agreement); to assist in resolving disputes in relation to children as well as for divorce or civil partnership dissolution and related financial issues.
For further information and a leaflet please contact Paul Wild on 0118 958 9711
For detailed information on Collaborative Law, please go to the website www.collabfamilylaw.org.uk
During the process of repossession proceedings against my tenant I felt reassured by the open and honest advice I received from Chris Miller. I was impressed by the efficient, professional and friendly service. I can highly recommend this company.
I used Barrett and Co for my will via the Will Aid scheme. They were very professional, efficient and friendly. They took time to explain things simply and effectively - offering advice on the implications of different scenarios and ensuring I 'future proofed' my will. Very pleased with the service all round. Charlotte Fox was excellent.
Very professional and extremely thoughtful. We choose to complete our Wills through Barrett and Co twice, and both times they have made it a simple and efficient service. We would highly recommend.
Upon needing some much needed employment related legal advice I was very lucky to come across Barrett and Co. The whole process was fluid, simple, yet professional right through from my initial enquiry to leaving the office happy and eased of mind. I would highly recommend Barrett and Co to anyone that requires legal advice of any nature; my particular case, whilst not overly complicated, regardless left me wanting reassurance and security. A quick call, appointment booking, and a 1 hour meeting with Justin later provided me with both.
I found Barrett & Co via a search on Will Aid 2019 and was lucky enough to get an appointment with Vanessa Ruparel, one of the Solicitors. The whole process of getting our wills done was very smooth and professional. Service was of high quality and very friendly. I would certainly recommend Barrett & Co. Many thanks Vannessa 🙂
I found Justin Sadler and his support team very knowledgeable, and they supported us very professionally through our case. They not only had the right legal and procedural knowledge but also the practical experience of handling cases to guide us through a difficult process. Well recommended.
Absolutely first class support and service. Mr.Wild who has been not only a great support but also a friend. He fought my corner and was understanding of my exceptional circumstances and the whole team have been amazing. The receptionist is first class everytime, very attentive when I went to the offices and knew who I was when I rang, made me feel supported st every step. Highly recommend this service
I have used Barrett & Co on several occasions and had excellent service from them. Richard Ince and his team have just completed the purchase of a house for myself, they were always on top of any issues and concerns from myself and the seller's solicitors and brought to my attention any points that they had concerns about. They could always be contacted and sent regular updates. I would definitely use them again