Employment law is as complicated for employers as it is for employees. We are here to unravel the complexity.
We provide advice for both employers and employees, which means you benefit from our experience in representing either side of an employment dispute. Our dedicated team of employment law specialists is led by Justin Sadler. We advise all employers to use written, rather than verbal, contracts, which we can prepare. We also help to draw up written disciplinary rules and procedures, often as part of a staff handbook. Additionally, our team can help you prepare your grievance procedures, as well as policies on data protection, use of email and the internet at work, discrimination and maternity, company car use and many other policies.
We have experience in advising on the following areas of employment law:
- Contracts of employment
- Disciplinary matters
- Grievances and constructive dismissal
- Flexible working requests
- Minimum wage
- Non-payment of bonuses
- Settlement agreements
- Sick leave
- Post termination restrictions
- Pregnancy related issues
- Staff Handbooks
- Termination of employment
- TUPE transfers of employees
- Unfair dismissal
- Working Time Regulations
Working with you
We normally charge a fixed fee for drafting documents. We are also happy to provide advice by telephone or email as required. We can arrange a site visit to help you and your employee(s) through disciplinary, complaint, restructuring, redundancy, transfer of undertakings, or insolvency processes.
Fee Estimates for common employment cases
You can bring a claim in the Employment tribunal for all types of cases, but the most common is unfair dismissal and wrongful dismissal (also known as breach of contract).
Typical fee ranges are summarised in the table below:
|Initial advice||Advice without representation (+VAT)||Full Representation
|Simple case||£95||£500-£3,000||£5,000 – £10,000|
|Medium complexity||£95||£1000 – £6000||£10,000 – £20,000|
|High complexity||£95||N/A||£20,000 – £50,000|
Factors that could make a case more complex:
- If it is necessary to make or defend applications to amend claims or to provide further information about an existing claim
- Defending claims that are brought by litigants without legal representation
- Making or defending an application regarding legal costs
- Complex preliminary issues such as whether the claimant is disabled (if this is not agreed by the parties)
- Large numbers of witnesses or documents
- If it is an automatic unfair dismissal claim e.g. if you are dismissed after blowing the whistle on your employer
- Allegations of discrimination which are linked to the dismissal
There will be an additional charge for counsel preparing for and attending a Tribunal Hearing of £1,000 – 5,000 per day (excluding VAT) depending on their years of experience for attending a Tribunal Hearing (including preparation) and the tribunal hearing will generally be between 1 and 10 days depending on the number of witnesses and complexity of the case.
Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties, such as court fees or barrister’s fees. If you opted for Full Representation then we would handle the payment of the disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process.
The fees set out above cover all of the work in relation to the following key stages of a claim:
- Taking your initial instructions, reviewing the papers and advising you on merits and likely compensation (this is likely to be revisited throughout the matter and subject to change)
- Entering into pre-claim conciliation where this is mandatory to explore whether a settlement can be reached;
- Preparing claim or response
- Reviewing and advising on claim or response from other party
- Exploring settlement and negotiating settlement throughout the process
- Preparing or considering a schedule of loss
- Preparing for (and attending) a Preliminary Hearing
- Exchanging documents with the other party and agreeing a bundle of documents
- Taking witness statements, drafting statements and agreeing their content with witnesses
- preparing bundle of documents
- Reviewing and advising on the other party’s witness statements
- agreeing a list of issues, a chronology and/or cast list
- Preparation and attendance at Final Hearing, including instructions to Counsel
The stages set out above are an indication and if some of stages above are not required, the fee may be reduced. You may wish to handle the claim yourself and only have our advice in relation to some of the stages. This can also be arranged on your individual needs.
How long will my case take?
The time that it takes from taking your initial instructions to the final resolution of your matter depends largely on the stage at which your case is resolved.
If a settlement is reached during pre-claim conciliation, your case is likely to take 2-6 weeks.
If your claim proceeds to a Final Hearing, your case is likely to take 6-18 months.
This is just an estimate and we will of course be able to give you a more accurate timescale once we have more information and as the matter progresses.
Get in touch
Justin deals with all aspects of Dispute Resolution for both businesses and individuals, including including Contentious Probate, Employment Law ( for both businesses and individuals) and Commercial Litigation. This means that he is familiar with the many different courts and tribunal as well as the many different methods for resolving disputes, including alternative dispute resolution such as adjudication and mediation.
I approached several local companies about advice on an employment matter. Barrett and Co were, by far, the most responsive and flexible. The advice I received from Justin Sadler was timely, expert, professional and concise. Thank you for a great service.
Based on my experience I would have no hesitation to recommend Barrett and Co to any friend or family member in need of legal services. Further, any legal service is only as good as the people within it and the people at Barrett and Co are brilliant. They are helpful, communicative, understanding and patient. They explain the options and when legal language is required and necessary they are willing to sit down and explain what it mean in plain english. Great people and a Great service,
Paul was really responsive, supportive and answered all my questions in a really honest and professional way. It was a pleasure working with him and i would recommend him to anyone needing a solicitor. Thank you Paul
I have worked with Justin Sadler several times and he always responds really well with easy to understand advice
Vanessa drew up my will after a video consultation (due to Covid 19) and then I got it signed and witnessed in the office car park maintaining social distancing. My will was very straightforward but Vanessa ensured that all necessary areas were considered and addressed. I received a very professional, courteous service and I would certainly use Barrett and Co again.
Dealt with Chris Miller who was fantastic from the start. Clear assessment of the issues and risks with great guidance and proactive communications. Chris is a very valuable asset and I would recommend him fully. The only issue I had was with the bill which was not clear and had to be adjusted. We won the case with costs awarded but it still cost us the best part of £1400, not sure how that works....
Justin Sadler provided an excellent service in relation to an employment matter. His clear and concise guidance provided me all the necessary assurance and support to conclude the matter. The rest of the team at Barrett's, where also very professional and highly responsive in the short time I had available to reach a conclusion. Barrett's certainly instilled a strong sense of trust and would definitely be my first choice for any future legal matters.
From start to finish these guys made me feel at ease during a turbulent time. First class service from all who I death with so I highly recommend them.
Employment Law Testimonials
"Once again thank you for your professional advice, without which I would probably be unemployed." November 2015– Anonymous
Thank you for taking the time to see me this morning. As always your advice was delivered in a way that is both professional and easy to understand. Thank you also for your patient and sympathetic manner, it was much appreciated.December 2019– Anonymous