Employment law is as complicated for employers as it is for employees. We are here to unravel the complexity.
We provide advice for both employers and employees, which means you benefit from our experience in representing either side of an employment dispute. Our dedicated team of employment law specialists is led by Justin Sadler. We advise all employers to use written, rather than verbal, contracts, which we can prepare. We also help to draw up written disciplinary rules and procedures, often as part of a staff handbook. Additionally, our team can help you prepare your grievance procedures, as well as policies on data protection, use of email and the internet at work, discrimination and maternity, company car use and many other policies.
We have experience in advising on the following areas of employment law:
- Contracts of employment
- Disciplinary matters
- Grievances and constructive dismissal
- Flexible working requests
- Minimum wage
- Non-payment of bonuses
- Settlement agreements
- Sick leave
- Post termination restrictions
- Pregnancy related issues
- Staff Handbooks
- Termination of employment
- TUPE transfers of employees
- Unfair dismissal
- Working Time Regulations
Working with you
We normally charge a fixed fee for drafting documents. We are also happy to provide advice by telephone or email as required. We can arrange a site visit to help you and your employee(s) through disciplinary, complaint, restructuring, redundancy, transfer of undertakings, or insolvency processes.
Fee Estimates for common employment cases
You can bring a claim in the Employment tribunal for all types of cases, but the most common is unfair dismissal and wrongful dismissal (also known as breach of contract).
Typical fee ranges are summarised in the table below:
|Initial advice||Advice without representation (+VAT)||Full Representation
|Simple case||£95||£500-£3,000||£5,000 – £10,000|
|Medium complexity||£95||£1000 – £6000||£10,000 – £20,000|
|High complexity||£95||N/A||£20,000 – £50,000|
Factors that could make a case more complex:
- If it is necessary to make or defend applications to amend claims or to provide further information about an existing claim
- Defending claims that are brought by litigants without legal representation
- Making or defending an application regarding legal costs
- Complex preliminary issues such as whether the claimant is disabled (if this is not agreed by the parties)
- Large numbers of witnesses or documents
- If it is an automatic unfair dismissal claim e.g. if you are dismissed after blowing the whistle on your employer
- Allegations of discrimination which are linked to the dismissal
There will be an additional charge for counsel preparing for and attending a Tribunal Hearing of £1,000 – 5,000 per day (excluding VAT) depending on their years of experience for attending a Tribunal Hearing (including preparation) and the tribunal hearing will generally be between 1 and 10 days depending on the number of witnesses and complexity of the case.
Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties, such as court fees or barrister’s fees. If you opted for Full Representation then we would handle the payment of the disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process.
The fees set out above cover all of the work in relation to the following key stages of a claim:
- Taking your initial instructions, reviewing the papers and advising you on merits and likely compensation (this is likely to be revisited throughout the matter and subject to change)
- Entering into pre-claim conciliation where this is mandatory to explore whether a settlement can be reached;
- Preparing claim or response
- Reviewing and advising on claim or response from other party
- Exploring settlement and negotiating settlement throughout the process
- Preparing or considering a schedule of loss
- Preparing for (and attending) a Preliminary Hearing
- Exchanging documents with the other party and agreeing a bundle of documents
- Taking witness statements, drafting statements and agreeing their content with witnesses
- preparing bundle of documents
- Reviewing and advising on the other party’s witness statements
- agreeing a list of issues, a chronology and/or cast list
- Preparation and attendance at Final Hearing, including instructions to Counsel
The stages set out above are an indication and if some of stages above are not required, the fee may be reduced. You may wish to handle the claim yourself and only have our advice in relation to some of the stages. This can also be arranged on your individual needs.
How long will my case take?
The time that it takes from taking your initial instructions to the final resolution of your matter depends largely on the stage at which your case is resolved.
If a settlement is reached during pre-claim conciliation, your case is likely to take 2-6 weeks.
If your claim proceeds to a Final Hearing, your case is likely to take 6-18 months.
This is just an estimate and we will of course be able to give you a more accurate timescale once we have more information and as the matter progresses.
Get in touch
Justin deals with all aspects of Dispute Resolution for both businesses and individuals, including including Contentious Probate, Employment Law ( for both businesses and individuals) and Commercial Litigation. This means that he is familiar with the many different courts and tribunal as well as the many different methods for resolving disputes, including alternative dispute resolution such as adjudication and mediation.
Barrett and Co has been our family solicitors for over 20 years for various legal matters, including, immigration, purchasing properties, tenancy disputes, wills and recently employment related matters. This includes our extended family too. We would without any hesitation recommend Barrett and Co and in particular, Justin Sadler and his team for legal matters. Very helpful team of solicitors, knowledgable, friendly and understanding. On every occasion, from the initial contact to the resolution, it’s always a pleasure to work with them and no complaints at all. Easy to contact, updates where needed and the charges are well explained and reasonable too. Even though we live in Ascot, we find it easy to do most of the paperwork remotely and only visit the branch when it’s absolutely necessary. Thanks again and a very happy client.
I would definitely recommend Barrett and co-solicitors to anyone! I recently engaged Charlotte Fox to get a will put together and I must say that Charlotte made it an fast, effortless and painless process for me.. pricing was very competitive and I received regular communication and some great advice from her that ensured the will represented exactly what I needed. I have used other solicitors in Caversham in the past and I must say my experience with Barrett and co has been the best by far.
I found these solicitors very helpful in drawing up my will. First class service and a pleasure to deal with.
Not having spoken with Solicitors for many years we viewed our visit to Barrett and Co. with some trepidation but were completely put as ease by both Charlotte's with the advice and understanding given by them when requiring advice on changing our Wills and other associated matters. These matters were discussed thoroughly with ourselves throughout and completed very promptly. We would certainly recommend their services and have no hesitation in using them again, should the need arise.
Charlotte Fox handled my father’s Will in a professional and timely way. I would recommend them as solicitors for their excellent service
Excellent service and advice I would certainly use Barrett and Co again. Justin was very professional and knowledgable enabling me to achieve my desired outcome and cannot thank him enough. N
Highly recommended solicitors. Our experience of using Barrett and Co has been very positive, responses have always been on time and informative. We won't hesitate to use again should we need to.
I found Barrett and Co to be extremely helpful during a very stressful time. Paul and his trainee Nicholas were always quick to answer any questions I had and never failed to reassure me. I am glad I put my trust in them and would wholeheartedly recommend their services to others.
Employment Law Testimonials
"Once again thank you for your professional advice, without which I would probably be unemployed." November 2015– Anonymous